Quality of Life—Economic
- Bureau of Land Management, Split Estate: Rights, Responsibilities, Opportunities (2007). This pamphlet for operators and landowners gives an overview of the rights and responsibilities of each party when the federal government owns the mineral rights to the land.
- Cornell University Cooperative Extension (CCE), “Things to Consider When You Consider Leasing” (2014). CCE’s mission is to solve problems through education and by providing university-based resources to citizens. The website contains information on financial and legal implications of signing oil and gas leases, as well as tips for landowners. See also “Gas Exploration and Leasing on Private Land: Tips and Guidance for New York Landowners” (updated July 2008).
- Earthworks, “Oil and Gas at Your Door? A Landowner’s Guide to Oil and Gas Development” (Durango, Colorado: Oil and Gas Accountability Project, 2005). This handbook contains guidance and tools for landowners during the leasing and permitting phase, including a checklist of concerns and an example surface use agreement.
- The Look before You Lease website provides information and a toolkit for landowners in Ohio, including a sample lease, checklists for negotiating a lease, royalty calculator, and water sampling resources. The website was created by the Rural Action, Ohio State University Extension in Athens County, Athens County Farm Bureau, and Appalachia Ohio Alliance (AOA) with the goal of providing landowners the information they need to make an informed decision about property rights and oil and gas leases.
- National Conference of State Legislatures (NCSL), “Compulsory Pooling Laws: Protecting the Conflicting Rights of Neighboring Landowners,” October 24, 2014. This NCSL webpage describes forced or compulsory pooling, gives definitions of relevant terms, and describes the different state approaches to compulsory pooling. It also has a map and table of state compulsory pooling laws.
- Elizabeth N. Radow, “Homeowners and Gas Drilling Leases: Boon or Bust?” New York State Bar Association Journal 83, no. 9 (November/December 2011). Law association journal article describes some of the issues involved in signing gas leases for New York landowners, including mortgage and insurance considerations.