Exploratory Drilling Stage
- American Petroleum Institute (API), “Hydraulic Fracturing Operations – Well Construction and Integrity Guidelines,” API Guidance Document HF1, First Edition (October 2009), http://www.api.org/~/media/Files/Policy/Exploration/API_HF1.pdf. API, an industry association, has produced industry guidance documents and recommended practices on shale development operations. This documents pertains to well construction, while two sets of recommended practices released in August and October 2015 address well integrity and environmental considerations: “Hydraulic Fracturing – Well Integrity and Fracture Containment” (ANSI/API Recommended Practice 100-1) and “Managing Environmental Aspects Associated with Exploration and Production Operations Including Hydraulic Fracturing” (ANSI/API Recommended Practice 100-2). These newly released documents are available for free public viewing (or for sale to download) on the API website: http://publications.api.org/. To access, register, select “Browse read-only documents now,” then select “Exploration and Production,” and scroll to recommended practices 100-1 and 100-2.
- Explore Shale, a project of Penn State Public Broadcasting funded by the Colcom Foundation, is a public media project dedicated to informing the public about hydraulic fracturing in the Marcellus Shale. The interactive media web page can be used to explore the drilling and development of the Marcellus Shale: http://exploreshale.org.
- The FracTracker Alliance (http://www.fractracker.org/about-us) provides maps for oil and gas sites in over 30 states. The information provided includes drilled wells, violations, proximity to populations, sand mining operations, and more.
- Grand Valley Citizens’ Alliance, The Rifle, Silt, New Castle Community Development Plan: A Collaborative Planning Document between the RSNC Defined Area Residents, Antero Resources Corp. and Galaxy Energy (January 1, 2006), http://www.oilandgasbmps.org/docs/CO68-RSNCCommunityDevelopmentPlan.pdf. This community development plan, developed in collaboration between the community and the industry, is a non-legally binding framework for the development of energy resources in Garfield County, Colorado. It contains ten guidelines for development, including ideas for addressing financial and infrastructure impacts to the community. It also includes provisions for community participation in the plan implementation and for community education on natural gas development operations. The agreement was challenged in 2009 when one of the companies planned to undertake more intensive development than had been agreed upon, but in the end the original planning document was upheld; see a case study of the plan at http://www.oilandgasbmps.org/resources/casestudies/RSNC-CDP.php.
- The Intermountain Oil and Gas BMP Project, a project of the University of Colorado Law School, houses a database of best management practices, policies, and laws relating to oil and gas development: http://www.oilandgasbmps.org/index.php. The database is searchable by keyword and other fields and contains best management practices on air quality, community, human health and safety, noise, visual aesthetics, water quality, and water quantity, among other issues.
- Richard Liroff, Danielle Fugere, Lucia von Reusner, and Steven Heim, “2014 Disclosing the Facts: Transparency and Risk in Hydraulic Fracturing,” http://disclosingthefacts.org. This project of a coalition of investment advisory firms and advocacy organizations (As You Sow, Boston Common Asset Management, LLC, Green Century Capital Management, Inc. and the Investor Environmental Health Network) tracks the self-reported best practices of companies engaged in hydraulic fracturing operations in terms of environmental and community impacts. It assesses companies on their practices and disclosures in five areas: 1) toxic chemicals; 2) water and waste management; 3) air emissions; 4) community impacts; and 5) management accountability. The 2014 report is the third in a series of annual reports ranking company performance. It also highlights examples of innovative best practices.
- Rational Middle Energy Series, Realities of Drilling: Extended and Recut (Updated 2014), video (14:02), http://rationalmiddle.com/movie/realities-of-drilling-extended-and-recut. This video episode gives an overview of the process of drilling and hydraulically fracturing a shale well, as well as the risks involved and potential mitigation strategies.